Thursday, September 29, 2005

Music Response Vol.2:Hip-Hop Anonymous

I'm not a huge hip-hop guy but there are some amazing albums that I'll give respect to. Even if you don't feel urban beats check these out and you may change your mind.

1. Original Soundtrack - "O.s.t" /The people under the stairs

These guys actually rap about real stuff. Not money, bitches, and bling. Weed, deep metaphors, and slick puns over some of most addictive hooks I've heard to date. Nothing resampled here. THis is the real deal underground hip-hop. The gems on this album are "Acid Raindrops" and "Empty bottles of water." Get on it.

2. Be/Common

I was not a fan of Electric Circus so I was pleasantly surprised when I popped this one in cd player and found that every track on this album could easily explode on hot 97. The album is produced by the Kanye West, the hoboken based rapper now made infamous by his less than tasteful diatribe during a Hurrican Katrina Telethon where he said "George Bush hates black people" Check out "Go" and "The Corner". A huge departure from their former album "Electric Circus" Common has found their footing with "BE".

3. Illmatic/Nas

The legendary lyricist Nas can serve up some sick rhymes - "Life's a bitch and then die, that's why we get high". It's hard not to emphatize with such a pristine outlook on life.

4. Greatest Hits/2pac

I'm from the east coast but I feel 2pac much harder then Biggie. Is that wrong? Will I revive the east coast vs. west coast war with this comment? 2pac is a grimey ass nigga and at least in my perception comes through completely authentic. His image reflects the ganster rapper portrait much more accurarately than the corpulent and raspy voiced Notorious B.I.G's in my estimation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home